Friday, October 10, 2008

rays of sunshine in place of expected showers

This week I decided it would be a good time to come out and visit my family. The question was, what type of transportation. Plane, train or automobile? I have two little ones in tow. If I were to drive I would have my own transportation the whole trip. Con, I would be driving with a two year old and a four month old meaning that twelve hours could easily become many more. Plane would only take two hours. Con, a layover in Denver, extremely tight quarters and no transportation. Thus we decided on the train.

The train would take a total of twenty hours. But there would be plenty more leg room, my two year-old would be able to roam freely as needed, we could eat, drink and potty as well and without worry of it prolonging the length of our trip too much. And to top things off we would be able to enjoy the beautiful scenery along the way!

We made plans for renting a car and went as far as to line up two car seats for the kiddies, to save my back with loading and unloading the train with my children and goods. I was excited and revving to go! This was going to be a great and exciting adventure!


As time began to wind down for this trip I began to have some realities sink in. First and foremost I would have to hold my four month-old for twenty hours. Second, entertaining a two year-old for a majority of that time might become a challenge. Then there was the dilemma of going to the bathroom, it nearly looked out of the picture, where would I put the baby while doing my thing? How would I carry both of them and my luggage on and off the train? What have I got myself into?

Well, the tickets were bought and payed for. No turning back, what is twenty hours in the scheme of life anyway? Only a life time in an eternity right?

So I boarded to train at 3:40 am (yes that is correct, in the morning) tired and ready to drop into my seat. With the help of the conductor I was able to do so with ease. Tender mercy number one. After a couple hours of sleep the other passengers began to rouse. To the right of me was a couple from Missouri Headed for Colorado to see their grand-children. Catty-corner to the front of us was a Hispanic mother and her two children. Her children were well behaved. I found they were 8 and 6 years of age, they too were heading to Colorado to see their father.

As the day wore on I met a young man in the seat in front of me. He looked familiar to me. He was from Hastings and heading for Utah also. It turned out he had worked at the Target in Kearney for only a short period, then he has returned to Hastings. I was racking my brains trying to figure out how I might have known this young man when this memory came to mind.

It was shortly after I had my second Little one. I had finally worked up my nerve, the nerve to go to a public place on my own with two little ones. I realize that sounds a bit silly now. Any way, I decided to go to Target to run my errands. After looking for a couple of eternities I could not find what I had gone in search for. Looking every where for an employee to help, one was finally found unloading boxes. He had bleached shaggy hair, and an earring. My first thought was "this kid is going to be annoyed I'm asking for help."

To my great astonishment I was incorrect in my judgement. He turned around with the kindest and warm smile, said "Sure!" , and instead of just telling me where to find it, he took me to it and then asked if there was anything else he could help me with before heading back to his work.

This may sound a bit silly but this young man had totally made my day. I had gone to find him later to thank him for his warm smile and kindness, but never saw him again. That is until this trip on the train. My friend in the seat in front of me was this young man from Target. Tender mercy number two.

When the train reached Denver, we lost the couple sitting next to me. In exchange a rough looking gentleman heading for California came in and a bowling league heading for a tournament in Vegas. The Gentleman, Richard, was just that. When my two little ones were resting, and I needed a restroom stop he was perfectly willing to keep an eye on them for me. As long as they didn't cause him any trouble. He was going to visit his daughter and help her through some rough times.

The bowling league consisted of seven or eight couples. Diane the youngest of the group stopped by my seat and admired how well my two little ones were behaving. She then sent the other ladies over to "see these two most adorable children" they would come over and talk with my little girl and coo with my boy.

The gentlemen from the group sat behind me discussing today's politics. I absolutely loved listening to them! It was like having my husband and a friend of ours on the train! If you are interested in the views they shared you can read my husbands blog thoughtsofabeancounter@blogspot.com . This bowling league was my tender mercy three. For when I reached my stop in Utah, they were all willing to help me unload my sleeping babies and our luggage.

To make an end I must say that my trip by train was not as bleak as I had imagined it might have been. Instead of rain clouds, there were only rays of sunshine.

No comments: