Thursday, June 11, 2009

New Obsession? I think not.

For a while now I have had this desire to scrapbook, and it is beginning to take over! I have so much to do! Two years ago I though it might be something fun to do. The purchasing of books and paper began. It was like a new obsession for me. Then reality hit, I had a little one with another little one on the way. What was I to do. Scrapbooking was placed on the far back, back, back burner. Nearly forgotten.

About two years ago I found myself at a meeting discussing Genealogy. This subject always makes me feel guilty. It is a passion my father keeps trying to share with me. I realize the importance, I am not trying to minimize it. I just feel like I don't have a lot of time for it. Then I have a friend who breaks it to me kindly that it is getting advanced enough I can do it in the comfort of my home...dang. Still I haven't done much. To say the least.

So back to the meeting I had been attending. They talked about the importance, how our ancestors are depending on us. Both past and future. More guilt. Then they said when we have young children at home we can keep journals. When we take pictures make sure to date them and put full names on the pictures. Now this is something I can do right? Yes. But still I didn't do much.

Now, I know there are a lot of you scrapbookers out there. Some of you guys can be very intimidating to me. Mainly because I see the great and amazing work you put into your projects, and get a block with my own ideas.

This past weekend I was invited to a scrapbooking party and seriously thought twice about going. I didn't want to be sold all of these stamp, stickers, etc. ideas. Humbly I will admit that I am glad I went. It was nothing like I imagined it would be. The girl throwing the party had a vision of scrapbooking I could grab by the horns and run with!

She showed me basic pages with journaling on them! I loved it! She did use stickers and punches. She did crazy things with paper. However, what she did was simple and didn't intimidate me...at all! A major plus! I am now on the band wagon of scrappers! Whole heartidly. There, I have that off my chest, moving on.

2 comments:

Annie Hall said...

I think you should do geneology. Me and Katy are addicted!

Rhonda said...

Glad to hear you found something on your level. You should never feel overwhelmed. It all comes in time. Just think you are preserving your thoughts and memories for your loved ones when you go. If you keep that in mind you will be driven. Annie is right it all starts with Family History. That is my true obsession. Good luck with your scrapbooking.