Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Moment of Truth

I am going to put myself in the raw on here today. Mainly this is for me. I just need to put it out there and in writing.

In the past two and a half years I have put on 30 pounds. Everyone tells me I carry it well and am looking good after having two children. That is nice. However, this year my 17 year old was taking some pics of my birthday and as I looked through them I thought "ugh...well, a camera does add 10 pounds, I'm alright."

Today I was getting my oil changed. As I waited I was reading a magazine, I happened to glace up and noticed the woman across from me. My first thought was, "that woman sure could use a diet, she looks more than frumpy." Then I had the nerve to take a second glance. 'That woman' happened to be me in a mirror.

Now at an oil stop they are not trying to sale diet things, exercise things, etc. So they wouldn't have put up a mirror used in a fun house at the fair. Dang. *sigh* So there was my reality check for today.

On the up side of all of this I have a plan. It took me at least two years to put this weight on so it isn't going to come off in a week or two, so I'm going to have to be patient. But here is what I am planning for my self:

1. I am going to keep a daily journal of my intake.
2. I am going to cut back on portions, and snacks.
3. I am going to make opportunities for myself to exercise, no more excuses.
4. I am going to take control.

I was talking to a friend of mine who teaches healthy living classes. Here are a few things he shared with me. Ignore the low fat, fat-free labels. While they can be of help, you just need to pay attention to the calorie intake. So what should be the average intake for a woman? He said about 1700 calories a day. Minimal 1200.

It has always been a fear of mine to be a calorie counter, I never wanted to look like I had an eating disorder. In the past I did have one, and was blessed it didn't get out of control for too long. Today I have decided there is not a problem with counting calories. I am going to do this. I hope I can report to you in less than 2 years that I have reached my goal.

There are two reasons I am saying two years. First it took me that long to get here, and second, I am planning on having one more child sometime next year. *sigh* Wish me luck, I am beginning right now.

No comments: