Tuesday, January 19, 2010

An Awareness in Differences

To begin this entry I should share this little tid-bit, and that is, we live in a small community(though if you talk to someone born and raised there, they well tell you it is a booming metropolis, one of their larger cities). We have farmers for miles and miles again. Our town has very little cultural diversity. The diversity that is there blends in with ease.

Today I am visiting my parent who live in a much larger city. Salt Lake City to be exact. Here there is a lot of diversity. To spend some of the day we decided to run a couple errands that can only be ran here. At our last stop our checker just happened to be African.

My daughter says with concern in her voice: "Look. She has black skin!"

Red crept into my cheeks I am sure, as I tried to come up with something. Not a moment too late, I had this thought and shared it with her: "God makes many people with many colors, because he likes variety. He likes to spice things up."

That seemed to be all she needed, she turned to the checker and announced with her biggest smile: "I would like this popcorn chicken please."

1 comment:

Brian and Lindsey said...

Great answer! So simple but so true. Kids are great! btw... welcome home. :) It's good to have to so close, if even for a short time.