Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Mid-Wifes Tale

I just finished this most excellent book! If you are interested in history, maybe the understanding of the late 1700's, early 1800's from the perspective of an average woman of that time period, you will enjoy this book. The author studied and researched may archival books and papers to help the reader understand the underlying "web" of Martha's life and a little of her community.

For me the book was not easy read. However, when I had a bit of time to myself it was a pleasant read.

Mostly I found the book interesting because I try to journal some myself. As I read the things Martha encountered, though her settings differ from my own, I found that many of lifes trials are the same, worry over children, finances, the need of friends and trust, along with the seasons life presents us with. They are much the same. And through these trials we have the same Being to whom we can turn for comfort and find peace. And when we place our lives in his hands, we too can be molded into a better, more understanding person.

2 comments:

Eyes Wide Open said...

I'm in desperate need of a new book. I'll check it out - thanks!

thoughts of a Wicked Stepmother said...

I hope you enjoy it!