Thursday, January 14, 2010

Prayer

"As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God(namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part(Matt 7:7-11). Many of the so called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship.

Prayer is the act by which the will of the father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of the God, but to secure for ourselves the blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings." ~BD, Prayer

I was reminded of the truth in this quote last night. Reminded of who I am. That I have to do my part to achieve the goals I set. Also, that God is more than willing to help me in my weaknesses. I only need remember our relationship, His and my active roles.

A few differences of God and our fathers here on earth is: He is perfect. He is all knowing. And He loves us, no matter how many times we fall, if we reach for Him as Peter reached for Christ on the sea*, He will lift us up. He will help us brush off and go forward. He gives us strength when we think we have gone as far as we can. He understands us completely.

As I come to understand this more, it is easier for me to turn to Him. It is easier to recognize He really does want what is best for me. In wanting what is best for me He is going to stretch me, sometimes more than I feel is necessary. However, if I am willing to put my trust in Him, His role and turn to Him in humility I can and will find the strength to move forward. I will succeed and I will find true happiness.

*Matthew 14:25-31 My favorite verses of these given are 30 and 31, so I will quote them here:
30- "But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid(speaking of Peter); and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord save me."

now, here is my favorite part:
31- "And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"

Now, Peter was chastised for doubting, but of all of the apostles, he was the only one with faith enough to try. Christ loved him enough to reach for him immediately after being asked for help. I just find this comforting.

No comments: