Monday, August 23, 2010

Parenting 101

I was watching an add today and touched deeply. The title is: "Parenting:the Hearts of Our Youth, found on www.youtube.com" Now I need to act on it.

The add was on being a parent and how important our roll is. It is important that we are there for our children. By being there we need to put things aside and treat our children the way we would one of our colleagues or friends our age. Turn away from the television, the computer, a book we are reading or what ever may be distracting us from our children. Take the time to listen to them. By listening to them converse with them and let them know we are hearing what they are saying.

I have a habit of listening per sei, but forgetting what they are saying or not hearing what they are saying. It is quite often to easy for me to be engrossed with what ever I am doing to tune them out. Sometimes I find myself putting them off for a lesser activity. That cold come back to me one day, then how would I like that? Most likely not.

Another point that was made in the add was how important it is for us as parents to participate in their children's lives. When taking them to school turn off the radio and listen to their concerns, their dreams, and taking moments to share our thoughts and teach them. I found this interesting for myself because Sometimes the things I listen too aren't necessarily bad, but they are distracting me from the more important moment.

My children are only going to be little once. My step-children are only going to be here for a bit and then they will grow up and do their own thing.So the best time for me to develop a relationship with them would be right now. I think of all of these great things I can do for my family, scrap-booking, sewing, photography, so many good things that will be appreciated in the future right?

But really there are other things that will be even more appreciated today. A ready ear to listen, time out to play a family game, do a family activity, or a walk were we can ponder the days events with out the distractions of life.

If I wait until tomarrow I will have a lot of empty yesterdays. Today I will make the changes I need. Here goes.

No comments: