Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Counting the Moments...

While wondering around one of my favorite think sights I saw this saying: "Don't count down the moments, rather make each moment count."

My mind began wondering on all of the things I have been counting down lately. There are too many things. I am ashamed to say that most of them are for my own selfish reasons. Things like Not being able to wait for this last little peanut to be born, then potty trained (I know let it come first...) I would like the diaper phase to be over. (Honestly I think I can say I won't miss this phase in particular.) I have thought to myself how nice it would be to have my own "space". Tons of things and so I won't take the time to mention them all.

Then I started thinking about the things I have been counting down. Do I want my children in my stewardship to feel like I don't want them around, or out of the way? No. I want them to feel loved, accepted and appreciated. The best way to do that is to do like the quote said and make the most of each moment. Children remember feelings. They remember some of the lessons taught, but mostly how they felt. Am I making their experience something they can look back on with fondness?

It comes back to spending time wisely. What am I doing to make the time enjoyable, not only for myself, but them also. It won't be all that far down the road that I will be wishing they were around more and feeling I have too much time and "space" to myself.

The chances of them coming around more in the future depend on how I make them feel now. If they feel welcomed, cherished and enjoyed, they will be willing to return to that more often than not. So, I need to stop counting the moments and making the moments count.

No comments: