Friday, December 5, 2008

Innocence

I was reminded of why we are commanded to become as little children through a conversation of my 10 year old and 2 year old. Their conversation went something like this:

What do you want Santa to bring you for Christmas this year?

I want pink pwesents!

But what kind of presents do you want?

I want dem aul to be pink!

Okay, but once you open them what do you want?

I no care. I dust want pink pwesents!

My son finally gave up. But the lesson was simple. she didn't really care what she got, as long as it was wrapped in pink paper. Honestly she would be happy with anything we give her. She won't be disappointed for what ever reason, she will be happy that she has a new toy, it will be something new to experience and enjoy. She is unaware of all that is available to her.

How often have I thought about the simple fact that Heavenly Father knows me best. He has many great gifts picked out for me. He wants to give them to me. At times I don't open them, possibly because I think I know what it is and know I won't like it. Or maybe all I see is the paper and am content with that. What if I don't even acknowledge it? Or how about this, Some of those gifts are only available upon my asking for them. Just as children give a list for Santa. I don't think I need to make a list forever long, but too, I don't think it hurts to ask for things either. Like leaving a glass of milk and those delicious chocolate chip cookies, I too can thank our Heavenly Father.

I could ask for a simple thing like the color of paper for my gift to come in and be pleasantly surprised by the gift that has been thoughtfully picked out for and given to me. Without a second thought.

No comments: