Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Life's Little Lessons on venting

My lessons seem to be taught in a painful manner at times. I've been told that pain can mean growth, however I wouldn't mind entirely going around the growing pains. I could do without them. But here is the latest little lesson.

Venting I hear is good. I do it often enough that I hope no one takes this personal, like I said this is a lesson I am learning. I am finding however that venting can have some awfully painful comebacks. There are two of these returns that I would like to talk about.

Let me set this up with person A, person B, and person C. A, being the venter, B being the listener, and C being the offender. This will simplify what I am trying to express.

First. When person A vents to person B, involved or not, no matter how unbiased they say they can be, person A's words will affect the way "B" will view person C. Whether "B" the listener knows of "C", person A is paining a picture. So even if person B never meets the person C, person "A" has developed a picture for "B". It is only natural then to make judgments off that painting later.

Second. After person "A" is done venting person B may at times think they are doing a favor for both "A" and "C" if they intervene and explain for "A" to "C" what has been vented about. This can be a problem because since the "A" was just venting at the time, they may be way over it later. Then "C" finds out that they have made an offense that possibly they had absolutely no intentions of making, nor clue that it would have been taken as such.

With "B"'s good intentions only comes more hurt feelings. Feelings that "C" needed not to experience, and possibly "A" had not intended to be forwarded so to say. Also, Person "A" may have wanted to confront it them selves, and felt that venting would possibly help them to put it into perspective. Or that "B" may have some suggestions themselves on how to take what was taken.

See there are so many variables to this and I am still learning them. Life's lessons hurt at times. It stinks. But like I have been told, Pain means growth right? I have played all three of these roles as have each of us, its a cycle and it still stinks.

No comments: