Friday, September 11, 2009

One of Many of Life's lessons

This week I was talking with a friend of mine. In our conversation I expressed how I enjoy having friends over, and how I was feeling bad because I felt like some friends weren't reciprocating the way I thought they ought to. She then shared with me how she and her husband are more home bodies, they aren't very social.

After our conversation and on my way home I began thinking. I would have never guessed that she and her husband were home bodies. They have had us over, and they are always having my son over to play with their son. Then I began to think about the other friends I have had over at times. They have been there for me and my family in many situations, maybe that is their way of showing their gratitude or appreciation of our friendship.

Maybe there are others in our circle who don't feel social as well. These people enjoy visiting with others when they are invited but may feel like it is out of their comfort zone to do something simular for one reason or another. It could be like this friend of mine, they simply enjoy being home with family and aren't thinking about who they should have over this up coming weekend.

Then I began to think a little deeper about how this friend seems to have a good time when she comes over. I know I appreciate it when she has my son over. I appreciate my friends who are there to help me in a moments notice or who just listen to me chat their ear off. So there are many ways friends of mine have reciprocated and I just have been unacknowledging.

This whole thing has brought a different perspective on why we are so different and how each of us has something to contribute. I am hoping my friends have enjoyed our get togethers. Because I am beginning to appreciate more the attributes they bring to our circle of friendship, if everyone was like me think of how tiring it would be to get together all of the time. Think of how much this world would be missing, especially in the areas I am lacking.

I am thankful for the patience others have for me as I learn these life lessons.

No comments: