Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blessings

To remind myself how blessed I really am I thought this might be a fun way to do it. First of all, I am blessed to be married to my best friend! Not only is he my best friend, but my confidant and companion, whether in crime,enjoying our children, laughing or crying(I will admit I do most of the crying.) He shares with me the amazing things he discovers as he prepares to teach seminary. He honors his priesthood responsibilities with zeal. He is an example to me.

There are five wonderful children with whom a friend has in trusted me with temporarily until she has the chance to be resurrected. They have forgiven me a number of times and worked with me on others. To top things off, they are setting upstanding and admirable examples for one another. They are doing all that they can to perfect themselves in the gospel and living it as well. I take pleasure in the moments they share with me, whether about a book they want to write, a day at school, the guy thing or simply about their latest joy or sorrow.

Two more children have been in trusted to me. They have the sweetest sweetness about them. Both have the most contagious laughs I have encountered! And their smiles each morning are alone something to cherish waking to. They adore their older brothers and sisters with a love that is undoubtedly returned. They enjoy each other in a way that is invigorating to watch, and their siblings mirror that in turn. (Or they mirror it from their siblings. Either way I count it as a blessing.)

It is funny, I was reading one of my journals from back in the day. Reminiscing about the good ole days. I ran across an entry where I had just finished visiting teaching a sister who was a great blessing in my life at that time. She had a way to lift my spirits each time I entered her home. There was plenty of laughter in our visits. Often times children of hers would join in the visit and add to the warmth. In this particular entry I mentioned how great it would be to have a family as close as hers. I think my exact words were "I would like to have a family like her family."

Heavenly Father blesses us in ways we can never imagine, we need but only trust in Him. If we do His work, I believe we will be blessed for every jot and title, isn't that what we have been told. It has turned out years later I am now a part of this family. I feel incredibly blessed that I can be a part of this family. At times I have joked that it has paid off to do my visiting teaching. But in all seriousness, it has. Now if I can just keep up on it. (Not that I am looking for another blessing equivalent to this. However, who could honestly turn down blessings from the Lord?)