Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Meal-time Adventures

Well, I tried a new recipe on the family last night. I bet my family may be a bit like yours when it comes to trying new recipes! For me it is at times comparable to trying a tooth extraction on a wild, ferocious shark. My sharklings however, are getting a better about it with time...mostly.

The first time I tried a "new" recipe on my family...well, lets just say my husband still teases me. He taunts me saying "it was like lumbus bread, a little can go a long way!" For any Lord of the Ring fans out there, you may know that is as far fetched from a compliment as say... um I dunno the ozone from the earths crust.

Another time when I tried a new recipe I was sceptically asked "Where did you ever get the idea that someone would enjoy this?" (I will admit I was wondering the same thing in that particular instance.) I am still not sure what I was thinking...either of those times.

Not all of my tried recipes have had those effects on my family. In fact we have found a bigger selection in favorites as everyone continues to grow. For some reason though, there is always one who thinks I should have just stuck to something basic, you know, mac'n'cheese, spaghetti, or hot dogs.

Last night I decided I was going to try a vegetarian lasagna on my family. My husband was a bit skeptical about my choice. he tried to talk me out of it. Let me preface by saying: our family has a rule where each child has a night of the week where they choose the dinner meal. We have done this with the rule that they can not complain about any other meals of the week. If they would like they can rate new meals from 1-10, but they need to try everything.

I have one child who will try everything and even tell me it is good. You can really tell by how much he dishes up, and actually eats. I have another who I can actually depend on hearing how gross something is before he even tries it(thus the rule). My two year has hit the phase where anything that big bro thinks is nasty must be, even if we ate it at a friends and she chowed down...how does that work?

So back to last night! Everyone liked it! It was a hit! Score one point for me! Those points matter moresometimes than others. By the way the rating? it was 7-9, pretty groovy eh?

No comments: