Sunday, February 8, 2009

Well, I survived today. I have discovered two things from today. Let me start by saying I gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting. Comfort is something that eludes me when it comes to speaking in front of groups.

So, my first discovery is that I am growing up. I am no longer considered the ripe young age that I feel to be. A sure sign of this is that it was expected of me to speak for 13-17 min. I am no longer considered a youth speaker. bummer! Now they expect me to know more...I suppose I do. but that doesn't change the second discovery.

While I was in Brazil I didn't have a big problem with talking in front of groups. Maybe that had to do with the fact that I was speaking a foreign language. Better yet it may have to do with the fact that I felt confident that what I had to share at that point was pure doctrine. Or, possibly it had something to do with the fact that I didn't know the people in the same manner that I know them here. I am not quite sure the difference.

Back to my second discovery which is this. I am not a fan of public speaking. I need to over come it though, obviously someone thought I must have something worth sharing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! I wanted to get this note to you before you posted on your blog! I thought you gave the most amazing talk today! I was really touched by it. I learned so much!

I was so glad it was you speaking today. You really seemed poised! Don't sell yourself short!

Thanks for listening to the spirit, putting in the preparation time so you could strengthen me and my testimony!

Professor Hall said...

You gave a good talk. You could tell because it was quiet. People were listening. Less confident people often give the best talks because they rely on the spirit.