Thursday, February 19, 2009

Valued Lesson

Today I was talking with my teenager. He is going to be a famous author someday. We were talking about the importance of backing things up and saving them in more than one place. In this conversation I used myself and his mother as examples. Through my personal example I mentioned someones name in an honest way, however in doing so I wasn't building this person up, rather placing them in a dark light if you may.

My teenager turned to me and said "you don't need to say that, it isn't really necessary!" Then he explained that instead of mentioning that name in the manner I had used, I could just mention the incident. Nobody needs to know how the incident took place.

Thinking about what he had said I realized that even though I was stating things how they really did happen, it was unnecessary for me to mention the how. If I were the How I would hope people could look past me, maybe not even notice my involvement. Even if I was in the wrong. I don't have this perfected. I just had the lesson today. It gives me something else I can work on.

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." -Ether 12:27

From past experiences Heavenly Father uses us, and others to be his instruments. It continuously amazes me how often children seem to be his finer teachers. Could it be because they are who parents are closer to? Or that they are fresher from his presence? Something to ponder.

1 comment:

Kate said...

i love my Jarom.