Friday, April 17, 2009

Strawberries

Well, I am feeling exceptionally great today! A friend of mine brought over tons of Strawberries this afternoon! Strawberries are such a delectable treat! There are so many delicious things you can do with them! As I cut the greens off and prepped the berries for the freezer I had a million ideas! So many ideas in fact that I began to think I shouldn't share them. If I did that we would not be able to share them in future days.

Catching myself in this train of thought I began to realize how truly blessed I am. I live in a country where I can buy strawberries, or any other momentary fetish quite easily.

I grew up in a family with not a whole lot. We had plenty of love from our parents, but when it came to money well, things were a bit tight. Finding an Orange in my stocking at Christmas was a treat always looked forward to. Fresh fruit was a treat. We would go to grandma and grandpa's to pick cherries from their trees, and munch them all along. Sometimes a neighbor would bring a bushel of fresh picked apples.

Mom tried to do a garden a couple of times, even letting us plant some popcorn(we wanted to sale it to the neighbor kids, fortunately for them it never grew much.)

Later finding myself on a mission I was spoiled and found myself developing a fond relationship with fruit! Everything in Brazil is bigger in size, tastier and always at an affordable price! Mangos quickly became my favorite!

Returning home, college is where I found myself. While there fruit sadly went to the back burner. Top Roman, mac'n'cheese, frozen burritos came to the front of my menu and once again fruit became a treat.

A couple years ago I married this wonderful guy who finds the importance of having fresh fruit around the house for children and ourselves to munch on top priority. We can usually find something on the counter or in a fridge drawer. We are not lacking. So why did I find myself wanting to hoard all of the strawberries? I'm not sure, but I guess I will have share them.

No comments: