Thursday, April 9, 2009

Time-out for Mommy

It finally came to it! Giving myself a time-out the other day was the only reasonable action. You may be wondering from what, well, I will share. From potty-training! I had one of those days where there was more wet and stinky than dry. In other words, starting the day off with 2 packages of panties and ending with only 1/2 a package of clean was more than bothersome to me! That would be an understatement!

I had read in a book that if you have the child being trained take off their own dirties and care for it they will learn to stay clean. This technique worked really well for several weeks. My problems began coming forth while on vacation. The first week was a breeze! By week two however we had a great change in attitude, and by time we had returned home there was a lack in desire of being the big girl.

The last straw for me was when I walked into the bathroom and there was brown art work all over the toilet seat, bowl, my rug, and the floor. Not only was it the last straw for me but for the trainee as well. I was beginning to think seriously that corporal punishment might need to apply.

To be honest with you that is the point where I decided I needed to put myself in a time-out. Reminding myself that "you never see kids in kindergarten with diapers" and then reminding myself she is only two. these were the things I had to pound into my mind for a couple days.

Well, we are back at it, yesterday went well, we only went through 2 pairs of panties! yes, we are back on track. I have to remind myself that my child is unique. With that uniqueness comes timing, and it isn't always on my time table.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Too bad you got a difficult spirit to potty train. They say boys are harder than girls to potty train too. So be looking forward to that in another 2 years time. My mom had Reese and I potty trained in like a week. Not saying she was better than you, but just that Maddie is naughty.

Kate said...

Oh by the "being the better sister" comment, Reese was referring to me in that I don't comment on her blogs as often as I should. HA!