Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Modern day Convinience?

It is funny, this afternoon a neighbor was over for only a moment and we were talking. It happens that the subject was about the exact same thing that was talked about in Relief Society this past weekend. The topic was actually broader in Relief Society, but one part stood out for me.

The topic that impressed me was about how impersonal people are becoming. It is easy to IM someone, e-mail, facebook, or even text. While these things are quick and easy it is amazing how impersonal it is. We have people faking identities, and everything out there. It is easier to be a friend from a distance almost.

I find it funny and have to laugh, because while the lesson was being taught, a friend turned to me and said something to the effect "I guess I won't be facebooking you anymore." to which I replied "I was just thinking the same thing, only of myself." The funny thing is I got a message from her a day later asking how things are going... and get this, I replied...lol!

Last week I was talking to a fellow stay-at-home mother and commenting how easy it is to lose track of time when I am away from the children, even for just a moment. I get caught up in relating stories from the week, or just talking about things a two or nearly one year old can't quite grasp.

Any way, my neighbor and I were discussing how important it is the whole personal contact thing. The whole interaction thing, its good. When you are talking face to face you can see their joys, sadness, everything that only body language can tell! besides that, a real hug means so much more sometimes than the *hug* you can get via visual...whatever.

I am ashamed to say that for me, many times I use these modern day conveniences only to simplify. Don't get me wrong, that is what we are instructed to do right? Simplify our lives, that is what we are constantly being told. But sometimes it is easier to send a message than to take the time to call someone up, and chat about the weather, politics or whatever may come to mind. I am only talking for myself, so please don't take this like I am thinking of 'you'.

I do have to say I am not going against this entirely, because, it is so much easier to spend what little precious time I have with my little ones, because I am told time and time again how quickly it will pass. However, I am going to make more of an effort to contact people in person rather than by texting, messaging, etc. I realize this isn't going to be perfect, because of modern day conveniences I live further from my family, and our older children live further from us, but, there are things I can do differently.

I can take a moment to pick up a phone for those distant, and those closer, make an effort to stop by when I am in the area.

There you have it my thoughts as of late, cherio and have a wondermous day!

No comments: